This recipe for Pulled Jackfruit Tacos is a must-try for taco night. Jackfruit is a great substitute for any type of shredded meat. The fruit has a mild but slightly sweet taste and will soak up any sauce or spices. Serve the pulled jackfruit on a soft corn tortilla with red cabbage, julienne carrots, vegan sour cream and coriander and you have a delicious and easy dinner that’s vegan and gluten free.
Origins of the Taco
It’s still a bit of a mystery as to who invented the taco. Jeffrey M Pilcher, a professor of history at the University of Minnesota, has spent the past 20 years investigating the history, politics and evolution of Mexican food. He theorizes that tacos were likely invented by Mexican silver miners in the 18th century and then introduced to the United States by Mexican immigrants in the 19th century. This melding of Mexican food to the ingredients available in the US is part of how the taco became assimilated into not only the US, but countries around the world. It’s an interesting journey, you can read more about it here. These pulled jackfruit tacos are inspired by this long-running tradition of filling corn tortillas with flavourful ingredients.
How to Make Pulled Jackfruit Tacos
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit from Southeast Asia and is a great substitute for any recipe that calls for shredded meat. It is jackfruit that provides the base for this taco recipe. As this is a savoury recipe you will need to buy Young Green Jackfruit in water or brine. It is also important to drain and rinse the jackfruit well to remove any of the remaining brine.
Serve the pulled jackfruit in a soft corn tortilla and top with shredded purple cabbage, julienne carrots, coriander and vegan sour cream. Include any other toppings you would like!
You could also use this pulled jackfruit recipe in a burrito or to top nachos.
Prepping and Storing
This is a great meal to make if you are into meal prepping. Simply store the pulled jackfruit mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will last up to 5 days. If you want to keep it for longer, the pulled jackfruit mixture is also freezer friendly and can be frozen for future meals.
If you are looking for more lunch or dinner ideas, you’ll also love these other lunch and dinner recipes.
This is a family favourite of ours, and we hope it will become yours too! If you like this recipe and decide to share it on Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @theplantryco and #theplantryco, I would love to see all your recreations!
Pulled Jackfruit Tacos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp cumin powder
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 400g young green jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 1 400g kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 400g black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Red cabbage
- Julienne carrots
- Vegan sour cream
- Soft corn tortillas
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 diced onion, 4 diced tomatoes, 1 diced red capsicum, 2tsp garlic powder, 2tsp onion powder, 2tsp fried oregano, 4tsp cumin powder, 4tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp chilli powder and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 800g jackfruit and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water, 1tsp salt and 4tbsp chipotle sauce. Cook for 10 minutes until jackfruit starts to soften. Break up the jackfruit using the back of a fork so that it appears shredded.
- Add kidney beans and black beans, stir until combined and heated through.
- Fry the corn tortillas in a dry frying pan over high heat for 15 seconds each side, then transfer to a serving plate.
- In a tortilla, add the pulled jackfruit mixture and top with red cabbage, julienne carrots, coriander and vegan sour cream.