This Goji Berry Smoothie is perfectly sweet and creamy. It includes antioxidant-rich goji berries, strawberries, banana, cinnamon and flaxseed, blended together with a plant-based milk.
Goji Berry Smoothie Ingredients
- Goji Berries: The goji berry is a tiny reddish fruit native to Asia known for its medicinal properties. They’re a great source of nutrients, particularly vitamin C and vitamin A, and are full of antioxidants. These little berries are full of flavour and great for adding a pop of colour to your smoothie. You can usually find them dried or in powdered form in health food shops or the health food aisle.
- Strawberries: I used strawberries in this smoothie but you can throw any type of berries into the blender. The berries can be fresh or frozen depending on the season. You can also leave them out altogether if the goji berries are sweet enough for you already.
- Ground Flaxseed: The added flaxseed gives the smoothie some extra plant-based protein and healthy fats, and you could also add a scoop of vegan protein powder.
- Ceylon Cinnamon: I use Ceylon cinnamon rather than the more common Cassia cinnamon. Ceylon compliments the smoothie with its milder, lighter and slightly sweeter taste. If you use Cassia cinnamon, I would recommend using half the amount in this smoothie (½ tsp). Cassia cinnamon is also a rich source of coumarin, which can be toxic in large quantities. If you regularly consume cinnamon, you might want to think about making the switch over to Ceylon.
- Plant-Based Milk: Any plant-based milk will work but I recommend Pure Harvest Coco Quench coconut milk as it’s organic and made from a blend of coconut milk and brown rice.
If you don’t have a lot of time during the week, this smoothie is super simple to create for breakfast or a snack. However, if you are more into meal prepping on the weekend, you could make a batch and freeze it into smoothie cubes to make it even easier to whip up a quick smoothie during the week.
If you like this recipe and decide to share it on Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @theplantryco and #theplantryco, I would love to see all your recreations!
Goji Berry Smoothie
- High-speed blender
- 1 cup
- 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- Add 1/4 cup goji berries and 1 cup plant-based milk to the blender and let soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup strawberries, 1 banana, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp ground flaxseed to the blender, and process until smooth.
- Serve as desired!