This Vegan Sour Cream recipe is a great dairy-free substitute for your regular sour cream. It’s creamy, rich and tangy, and the perfect addition to a taco or sandwich, or to top soups, curries or nachos.
How to Make Vegan Sour Cream
This sour cream is made with raw cashews, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, water and salt. Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender until the sauce is blended together well.
Ensure you soak your cashews for a minimum of four hours. This is what gives the sour cream its creamy texture.
The lemon juice and apple cider vinegar are important as they both give the sour cream its necessary tang.
You can use this sour cream:
- On tacos, burritos and quesadillas
- As a sauce on a sandwich or wrap
- To top nachos or a pizza (add the sour cream once it’s out of the oven or it may dry out a bit due to the water)
- To top soups or curries
If you use it in any other ways, let me know in the comments below!
Prepping and Storing
This sauce will store for up to a week in the fridge and is also freezer friendly. Make double the batch to have on hand for a quick and easy addition to your lunch or dinner. If you freeze the sour cream, you may need to give it a good stir once it has defrosted. This sour cream will thicken as it chills in the fridge or freezer, if you want it to have a thinner consistency simply stir in a small amount of water.
If you are looking for more lunch or dinner ideas, you’ll also love these other lunch and dinner recipes.
If you like this recipe and decide to share it on Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @theplantryco and #theplantryco, I would love to see all your recreations!
Vegan Sour Cream
- High-speed blender
- 1 cup
- 1/4 cup
- 1/3 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 cups cashews, soaked
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place 2 cups of cashews in bowl and cover with water, soak for at least 4 hours
- In a high-powered blender, add soaked cashews, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 2/3 cup filtered water and 1/2 tsp salt. Blend until combined.
- Transfer to airtight container and store in the fridge.