This is my favourite pumpkin soup recipe. The sweetness of the butternut pumpkin and coconut cream are balanced by the savoury flavours from the onion, garlic and French onion soup. Together they create a delicious soup that is thick, creamy and incredibly tasty.
Pumpkin Soup Ingredients
I’ve tried a lot of different pumpkin soups and this is by far my favourite one. It’s also super easy to whip up. Roast the butternut pumpkin, red onion and garlic cloves in plenty of olive oil for around 1 hour or until all the veggies are browned. Transfer the roasted butternut pumpkin, onion and garlic to a blender, add the french onion soup mix, 2 cups of filtered water and 1 cup of coconut cream. Blend until everything is combined.
For this recipe we recommend roasting the pumpkin, onion and garlic. This really brings out the flavours of all three.
The french onion soup mix also adds a really nice flavour to the soup. However, if you don’t have french onion soup mix handy, replace the filtered water with 2 cups of vegetable stock.
Serve this soup with some toasted sourdough or a vegan toastie. You can also top the soup with some fresh herbs such as parsley, chilli flakes or chilli oil, a swirl of coconut cream or a dollop of vegan sour cream.
Prepping and Storing
This is a great meal to make if you are into meal prepping. Simply store the pumpkin soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will last up to 5 days. The pumpkin soup is also freezer friendly so you can freeze for future meals. Dish it into individual serves and freeze for meals you can quickly and easily grab and heat up.
If you are looking for more lunch or dinner ideas, you’ll also love these other lunch and dinner recipes.
This is a family favourite of ours, and we hope it will become yours too! If you like this recipe and decide to share it on Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @theplantryco and #theplantryco. I would love to see all your recreations!
- High-speed blender
- 1 cup
- 1 large butternut pumpkin
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 40 g french onion soup mix (1 packet, ensure it's gluten free)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper or a reusable baking sheet.
- Dice the butternut pumpkin and quarter the red onion.
- Rub 1-2 tbsp olive oil over the flesh of the pumpkin, and place the quartered red onion (cut side down) and 2 garlic cloves onto the baking sheet.
- Roast for around 60 minutes or until the pumpkin, onion and garlic are browned.
- In a high-speed blender, add roasted pumpkin, onion and garlic, french onion soup mix, 2 cups filtered water and 1 cup coconut cream. Blend until combined.
- Serve with toasted sourdough.